Schenectady Farmer's Market: Creating your own herb garden


This past weekend my friend Leah and I had the opportunity to go to the Schenectady Farmers Market. (For more information, visit Schenectady Sunday Market)   It was a beautiful day and one of the first really hot days we've had in Albany in a while.  It was also my first time visiting the market since it's been outside! While there, a lovely vendor named Alice convinced me to move past my fears of killing living plants and try to start my own herb garden.

So, that's what I did.  I am now the proud owner of my very own basil and parsley plants.  Jon was a bit skeptical at first, considering Leah and I came in the front door with potting planters, bags of dirt and a frisbee full of basil and parsley seedlings up to our eyeballs.

Alice was super helpful about care and maintenance.  Initially all you need is the following items:

  • At least 1 potting plant for each separate herb plant.  For herbs, they don't necessarily need to be as DEEP as they need to have a lot of area for top growth and expansion.  I went with 2 of the 10 and 5/8 clay pots at Home Depot, which were about 5.48 a piece
  • Depending on the size of your pot, you'll need potting soil.  Our friend Alice recommended potting soil without fertilizer, but I couldn't find any in the store without and I was afraid that I would kill our fun friends if I didn't pick something up.  I went with Scott's Potting soil at 1 cu ft. I got 2 bags and I have about 1/3 of the second bag left over.
20 bucks and an hour later I had my very own (small) herb garden.


Hopefully the best of the plants are yet to come.  Happy planting!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Attempts at Adulthood

Step 1 is Always Acknowledgment